Friday, July 1, 2011

Cooking With Children (and a summary of our day)

Today was fun. I don't know how I can say that in a day that was mostly spent doing errands and housework, but we made it a fun day, anyway. The kids have been going a little bit nuts, since there's been a wildfire burning for over a week, and it's too smokey outside for them to go out most days. Energy has been at an all-time high, so to give them a chance to at least get out of the house, we all went to Sam's Club this morning. Nick fell asleep in the car on the way home, and I sat in there with him after we got back, and had some pretty good time to myself. It's crazy that I have to sit in the car just to get a few minutes' peace! Tiffany was inside, and the kids still kept coming out to me to ask if they could have more lunch, or do this, or do that, and it was like, "Enough already!" But at least they didn't wake Nick up this time.

This afternoon, amidst playing and cleaning and making enough paper airplanes and boats to restock the Air Force and Navy, I put in Jean Butler's Irish Dance Masterclass for them. Colin and Kailey have been wanting to take dance classes lately, and that at least gave them a taste of what it would be like, as well as some other cool extra features. They had a great time!

The kids have been learning to make bread. I'm hoping that I'll be able to put Colin in charge of that task within another year or so, after he gets a little better at reading. He's already showing an interest in cooking, probably in part because I keep telling him the things I was cooking at five years old! We made instant potato bread (in the bread machine) today. The kids just dump in the ingredients, although last time when it was only Colin helping me, I let him measure the flour. He scooped it up, swiped the top with his hand, then wiped his hand on his shirt as he poured the flour into the bread pan before I could even say anything!

For Friday Dessert Day today, we made ice cream in a baggie. We got the recipe from here: http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html I had some of my chocolate almond milk ice cream, since I can't have dairy anymore. The almond ice cream is pretty good. The consistency is right, the flavor was good. It had a very strong almond taste, which was good with the chocolate, but I think the chocolate coconut milk ice cream was a more neutral chocolate taste. I'll probably go back and forth between the two depending on what I feel like. I didn't like the rice milk ice cream- it seemed too sticky, syrupy, I guess you would say, though you got used to it after a few bites. And soy is just gross. BUT, that's not what I was saying. The kids loved our ice cream project. And then we made brownies, just because. Do you need a reason to make brownies?

Also, Matthew called today. Colin got to talk to him, and was so happy about it! Brennan was being a little grump, and had already been pouting before I tried giving him the phone, so he just sat there and didn't say anything. I think he should have had a nap.

When we read bedtime stories tonight, we were in the kids' bedroom. Brennan's bed is just a mattress on the floor, since Bella and Nick are in the two cribs that convert to toddler beds, and Brennan still falls out of bed on a regular basis, so him being on the bottom bunk with Colin wasn't working. Nick and Bella were sitting side-by-side on Brennan's mattress, feet on the ground, and Nick started bouncing and bouncing. He bounced for probably most of two stories, getting up in the middle to take the first book from me that I finished, then he went back over, sat back down, and started bouncing again, like he couldn't sit still to save his life. He probably can't! It's so much fun having boys! I love the energy and enthusiasm they bring into everything they do. It's so much fun watching them play, even if it does mean dirt and water everywhere, and them having to change their clothes three times a day (or more!).

Well, I think that's all for tonight. Happy Independence Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment